Portugal, has become a leading destination for Non-European Union nationals to invest, since the Portuguese government introduced the special residency card for investors in 2012.
The Golden Visa, which is granted for a period of 5 years, enables citizens from outside the Schengen zone to live and invest in Portugal and travel freely within the Schengen countries.
To obtain the Golden Visa, an applicant must fulfill one of the following criteria:
- Transfer of € 1m into Portugal
- Acquisition of property valued at € 500k
- Rehabilitation of heritage sites, or structures within historic areas valued at 350k
- Transfer of € 350k to be applied in scientific or technological research
- Transfer € 250k to be applied in support of artistic creation or cultural heritage
- Transfer € 500k destined to the acquisition of participation units in investment or venture capital funds
- Creation of a minimum of 10 new job positions
- Investors prepared to develop projects in areas of extremely low population density will receive a 20% reduction in expenses
Having fulfilled one of the above mentioned requirements, individuals may invest directly, or through a company that has its registered head office in Portugal.
When applying for a Golden Visa, and the investment is made through a company, the investment amount necessary must be proportional to the share capital held by the applicant.
For further information regarding Golden Visa’s, please contact CLG to arrange a meeting with one of our consultants.